Source: Batman – The Telltale Series: Episode 1 Review

It’s starting to sound like Batman’s famous and vast rogue gallery’s biggest enemy is not the Joker or Two-Face, but the PC. Not only Knight of arkham have a less than stellar PC version, but Batman – The Telltale Series: Episode 1: The Shadow Kingdom (which is a very long and stupid title, so let’s go with it Telltale batman) isn’t the prettiest of Dark Knight appearances on the best platform.
I will say that I have not encountered any issues that some have mentioned. I didn’t try Windows 7 mode, but in Windows 8+ mode the graphics were fine and the only frame rate issues I encountered were slight blips during the first second or the first two seconds when ‘a new scene was being loaded. I have, however, hit a lot of other issues.

I am QTE Batman.
The opening scene of Batman taking down a group of armed thugs, for example, was somewhat marred by all the sound effects disappearing halfway through. Voices and so on were still there, but there was no fleshy THWOCKS like an armored fist connected to a fleshy face, which greatly lessened the drama of the situation. Soon after – about a quarter of the episode – I quit… and reopening it today, I found that the game had lost my save file and I needed to start over. And, after starting from zero, I paused the game and was rendered completely unable to to resume the game. It had not crashed. I could still access the menu. I just couldn’t get the game to do anything.
As for first impressions, Telltale’s take on Batman basically shot a blind date in a clown costume while clutching a copy of Mein Kampf.

Well, it’s Batman.
Although these issues are probably the worst thing I can say about Batman: Episode 1, unfortunately these are not the only problems. The walking animations are incredibly staid and unnatural. Subtitles sometimes disappear for no apparent reason. It’s very, very QTE heavy, and in typical Telltale fashion, most of those QTEs don’t really seem to matter much.
As an example: in this opening fight you can completely ignore a few of the QTEs and the animations will continue anyway. However, if you block three or four (or maybe one particular a; I’m not quite sure, but I think this is the first one), then the animation is interrupted by the villain you are fighting pulling out a gun and killing Batman. At other times, getting a correct QTE will trigger a different animation, which doesn’t quite match what came before; Batman blocking a punch will suddenly switch to Batman running at a thug several yards away and launching into a flying kick.

It’s not Batman, it’s probably the Penguin.
In an effort to make these QTEs feel more closely related to the gameplay, getting them right fills a “finishing move” meter at the bottom left… but, uh, I’m not quite sure what that is. serves. You can die from failing QTEs long before the final blow prompt appears, and unless I’ve missed something, you can’t immediately end combat once you’ve completed bar. Maybe it’s just a bar that needs to be filled before the fight is over to win… but if you screw up the QTEs you’re probably going to lose before that point anyway. It’s confusing and weird, and if anything, these QTEs feel a lot less tied to the action than in The wolf among us. Witness really need to find a better way to handle this stuff.
It might not matter too much a lot if the story, plot, and sets are perfect, but that’s honestly way too hard to judge based on this episode alone. This is another early take on Batman, and this first episode chronicles his attempts to take down Mafia boss Carmine Falcone. The police are still after Bats (Gordon, not so much, although their current relationship isn’t actually extended), and we see Batman and Catwoman first meet, and the character who will eventually become The Penguin, and hang out with it. Harvey Dent as he runs for mayor. Oh, and obviously the murder of Bruce’s parents is brought up about 19 times because there are probably five or six people who don’t know how and why Bruce Wayne became Batman.

She talks to Batman.
The overall story appears to be about the Wayne family’s alleged ties to organized crime, which is certainly an interesting direction to take. I am curious how this will be resolved; if my memory is good, Batman RIP touched on the assassination of the Waynes character, and it’ll be fun to watch a similar piece here. Still, with just one episode released, it’s far too early to think about how these threads will tie together.
There are some things that I really like, however. The choices here are more about how you want Bruce Wayne and Batman to be viewed and what kind of Batman you think he is. You can decide if Bruce Wayne shakes hands with Carmine Falcone in public, for example, and you can decide if Batman brutalizes a thug with an iron pipe or just threatens him with it. Is Batman a restrained man who terrifies people with threats, or does he actually break his arms and broken ribs for reasons other than self-defense? Will Bruce Wayne defile his name for information, or is his public position more important? Again, this doesn’t seem as appropriate as The wolf among us‘take Bigby, where basically every decision felt right with the character, no matter How? ‘Or’ What you played it, but it’s still early for Batman and I expect that to be developed a lot as the episodes continue.

The only thing scarier than Batman is Batman with a Pipe.
There are also a few really neat set pieces, although one or two offer more future potential than they do in the current run. A little detective work in the middle of a crime scene episode allows you to “connect” elements of the environment to determine what happened, although this is a good idea, it almost does not require much. no reflection. Surprisingly, the man with the clawed face can be related to the man with blood on his hands and pieces of human flesh under his broken fingernails. The greatest detective in the world!
The climax is probably the climax of the episode, in which you plan Batman’s attack on a room of armed guards, figuring out how best to deal with each of them in turn. I don’t think there’s a way to “fail” (unless you mess up the resulting QTE, obviously), but it’s a nice little touch that does a lot to make QTE combat more personal and relevant.

Even Batman thinks it’s a little gross.
Good dialogue, good voice acting, and the usual pretty Telltale visuals are all present and correct, but the overall polish of the presentation doesn’t change the fact that it’s buggy, technically problematic, and … well, it doesn’t have it all. just not that spark. None of this made me particularly eager to see more; really nothing clicked to make me want to press.
Even putting the technical issues aside, this is far from the best start for a Telltale series. Chances are it will improve as it moves away from the introductions and gets closer to its larger story arc, but for now it’s definitely an expectation.
Hi, I’m best-game-reviews.com, a website about games and helping players get the information they need. We always provide the most complete and up-to-date news as well as share tips and tricks for playing some of the games. Thank you for reading this article
from best-game-reviews.com https://ift.tt/3cx1uxl
via best-game-reviews.com

0 Yorumlar