Happy Weekend Everyone! This weekend is a stay at home, catch up weekend after spending Father's Day weekend in Maine. We had a wonderful time staying at the Cliff House in Cape Neddick, a resort that recently underwent a 40 million dollar renovation, what an awesome place. The hub says it was his best father's day ever. We hope to go back again after Labor Day.
Our oldest granddaughter graduated from Kindergarten on Friday (hard to believe) and our youngest granddaughter will be celebrating her 4th birthday next weekend.
On the book front I've been busy reading and there are so many more books I'd like to read this summer. I finished several books this month.
- The Female Persuasion; Meg Wolitzer (audio) - 3.5/5
- The Great Alone; Kristin Hannah (audio) - 4.5/5
- The Little Clan; Iris Martin Cohen (arc) 3.5/5
- Right Behind You; Lisa Gardner - 4.5/5 (no review yet)
- The Banker's Wife; Christina Alger - 4/5 (no review yet)
The Female Persuasion; Meg Wolitzer
Penguin Audio - 2018
Greer Kadetsky is a shy college freshman, disappointed by her stoner parents for messing up her financial aid paperwork which caused her to miss the opportunity for an Ivy League education. Instead she ends up at Ryland College where she meets a feminist, Faith Frank who inspires her and challenges her to be all that she can be.
The topic was timely: feminism, sexual identity, workplace harassment and first loves. Although the story held my interest, it never wowed me. Most of the (4) central characters were flawed in some way, which I generally love, but I wish that these chapters, especially Faith Frank had been explored in more depth. The stories of each of these characters sometimes felt a bit disjointed, so to me the pacing felt off.
I'm happy I listened to this one but after reading several rave reviews, I expected to like it more.
Rating 3.5/5
The Great Alone; Kristin Hannah
Macmillan Audio - 2018
See in mid 1970s, Alaska, an unpredictable, often volatile former POW, Ernt Albright abruptly moves his wife and 13 year old daughter to Alaska after losing yet another job. Hoping for a calmer life, he plans for the three of them to live off the grid.
Although the local people are welcoming and helpful, as winter approaches it soon becomes apparent how ill prepared the family really is to survive this new life. As Ernt's mental health issues intensify, mother and daughter bond even more to try and figure out what must happen in order to survive.
My heart went out to 13 year old Leni, a girl at a fragile age who needed stability. I was angry with the mother for going a long with such a crazy plan without preparation. The audio book was very good and really held my interest.
Rating - 4.5/5 stars
The Little Clan; Iris Martin Cohen
Park Row - 2018
Ava Gallanter, is a shy 20-something librarian and lover of 18th century literature, she also hopes to be a successful writer. She works at a rather eccentric place called The Lazarus Club, a place where eccentric geriatrics residents gather. Ava's college friend Stephanie, is her polar opposite: outgoing, energetic with a lust for life. She vows to do what she can to help Ava fulfill her dreams of becoming an author and, she convinces Ava to open a hip literary salon at the Lazarus Club. Needless to say, things don't necessarily go as planned.
Readers who love stories with quirky, flawed characters and literature should give this debut novel a try. Overall, I liked this book but, I was hoping for some resolution to a few of sidebars and that never occurred.
Right now I have (3) books going. The Outsider, Stephen King (in print) -- this is really good. The Waiting Room, Emily Bleeker (on Kindle) and The Chalk Man; C.J. Tudor (on audio)
Rating - 3.5/5




0 Yorumlar